The Iowa Corn Growers Association has made it easier for drivers to determine the best fuel for their vehicles by creating the Vehicle Fuel Finder and a new interactive Fuel Finder to help them find nearby stations.
Iowa Corn has also launched the Iowa Corn-fed Summer Road Trip to help motorists enjoy a corn-fed summer filled with fuel retailers offering E85 to the restaurants serving up corn-fed burgers and tenderloins.
What’s the best fuel for your vehicle?
Planning a summer vacation or a weekend getaway? You probably don’t put much thought into which gas station you stop at, but by making pit stops at stations with higher blends of homegrown ethanol, including E85, could save you money, ICGA spokespeople say. Determine the best fuel for your vehicle by using the Vehicle Fuel Finder.
E85 is a fuel made up of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. E85 can be used to fill up your flex-fuel vehicles. As the summer driving season begins, the U.S. Energy Information Administration is already warning drivers they will likely see the highest gasoline prices in four years. Pump prices have begun to increase, so ICGA is advising motorists to “make the right choice for your vehicle to save money for what matters most.”
As of late May, the price for unleaded gasoline averaged $2.84 across Iowa, according to American Automobile Association surveys. This is up 5 cents a gallon from one week earlier and 58 cents higher than one year ago. The national average on the same day was $2.95, up 6 cents from the previous week’s price.
Ethanol offsets higher gas prices
Corn-based ethanol is helping to offset higher prices, and 10% ethanol blends (E10) alone could save consumers at least $39 billion this year, according to an analysis by the Renewable Fuels Association. In late May, the Des Moines Terminal/Rack Prices are $2.16 for E10, and E85 is priced at $1.76 per gallon.
Below are Iowa restaurants involved with the program that are serving corn-fed beef:
• Ankeny Diner, 133 S.E. Delaware Ave., Ankeny
• Beer Burger, 575 Camerson Way, North Liberty
• Coon Bowl III, 223 Sixth Ave., Coon Rapids
• Irish Shanti, 17455 Gunder Road, Elgin
• Morgan's Corner, 436 Second St. W, Ottumwa
• Robin’s Nest Café, 112 E. Washington St., Clarinda
• Smokin Herford BBQ, 1605 W. Milwaukee Ave., Storm Lake
• Wrangling Grace Café, 109 W Ramsey St., Bancroft
• Buffalo Tavern, 2016 S Main St., Burlington
• Gordy's at Rustix, 716 Summer Ave, Humbold
• Gramma's Kitchen & Checkered Flag, 3408 N. Plainview Road, Walcott
• Grid Iron Grill, 1121 E. Second St., Webster City
• Happy’s Place, 2323 Rockdale Road, Dubuque
• Thirsty Carp, 930 Ninth St., Lake View
• Three C's Diner, 300 Ninth St., Corning
• Willie's Sports Bar, 10 First St. NW, Hampton