This upcoming schedule of free crop fairs offered by the Iowa Corn Growers Association will give growers across Iowa a chance to hear from and question some of the leading experts on corn-related issues. Topics vary from one of the meetings to another, ranging from marketing and the weather outlook to renewable fuels, the 2007 Farm Bill, and agronomic developments.
"Crop fairs are part of Iowa Corn's commitment to improved grower profitability," says Don Mason, director of grower services for the Iowa Corn Promotion Board and the Iowa Corn Growers Association. "In today's production environment, direct access to timely information can help growers make better decisions that benefit their bottom lines."
The crop fair program is a service of ICPB, ICGA, and leading local agribusiness sponsors. Specific details on each crop fair's program and schedule are available on the Iowa Corn Web site at www.iowacorn.org or by calling the individual sponsors listed below.
2007 Iowa Corn Crop Fair Schedule
* Jan. 5—Burlington, Iowa, at Southwestern Community College,1500 W. Agency Road. For details or to RSVP: Merschman Seeds, (800) 848-7333
* Jan. 8--Guthrie Center, Iowa, at Guthrie County Extension Office, 212 State Street, (641) 747-2276. For details or to RSVP: Guthrie County Extension Service,
* Jan. 9 & 10--Cedar Rapids, Iowa, at Hawkeye Downs as part of WMT Ag Expo
For details or to RSVP: www.wmtradio.com
* Jan. 11--Fayette, Iowa, at Fayette Opera House. For details or to RSVP: Northeast Iowa Cooperative, (800) 632-5903
* Jan. 12--Humeston, Iowa, at Humeston Baptist Church, 223 Broad Street
For details or to RSVP: Wayne County Extension Service, (641) 872-1755
* Jan. 16--Marshalltown, Iowa, Best Western Regency, 3303 S. Center Street
For details or to RSVP: Mid Iowa Cooperative of Beaman, (641) 366-2740
* Jan. 24--Missouri Valley, Iowa, Eagles Club. For details or to RSVP: King Agri Sales, Inc, (888) 287-4744
* Jan. 25--Bassett, Iowa, at Raleigh Hills Country Club, Highway 18
For details or to RSVP: Golden Grain Energy, (800) 383-0399
* Jan. 26--Lenox, Iowa, at American Legion Building, 106 W. Ohio
For details or to RSVP: Taygold Cooperative, (641) 333-2202
* Feb. 7--Paullina, Iowa, at American Legion Hall. For details or to RSVP: CS Agrow Sales, (800) 743-3307
* Feb. 15--Storm Lake, Iowa at KC Hall. For details or to RSVP: Buena Vista Corn Growers, (712) 272-4277
* March 1--Fairfield, Iowa, Details are pending.
The ICPB, made up of 17 Iowa growers, collects $6 million annually to develop and defend markets, fund research, and provide education about corn and corn products. The ICGA is a membership organization, lobbying on agricultural issues on behalf of its 6,000 members. For more information, contact Don Mason Iowa Corn's director of grower services, at (515) 225-9242.