If you're going to the Iowa State Fair this year, you'll be able to visit Iowa State University Extension and Outreach exhibits all across the fairgrounds. The fair is August 8-18 at the state fairgrounds in Des Moines.
The discovery can be kicked off with the ISU Extension scavenger hunt that takes participants to various Extension and Outreach locations. Fairgoers may pick up an entry form at the 4-H Exhibits Building or Grandfather's Barn. Each of six locations has a keyword sign that participants can record, and with all six keywords, they can enter online for a chance to win an iPad.
Cardinal and Gold Day: Fairgoers are encouraged to show their Cyclone pride on Friday, Aug. 9, by wearing cardinal and gold to the fair! ISU Extension and Outreach will be at the 4-H Exhibits Building, Grandfather's Barn and Discovery Garden handing out reusable shopping bags starting at noon, until supplies are gone. Cy will be making appearances at those locations as well.
Framing the Future for Iowa: See how Iowa State University is "Framing the Future of Iowa" at the Iowa State exhibit located inside the Varied Industries Building. Photo and video content is displayed on 22 iPads and iPad minis and four large video screens in an art gallery setting, divided into three major themes: educating students who become successful alumni; providing research and outreach programs that benefit citizens; and offering entertainment and cultural opportunities.~~~PAGE_BREAK_HERE~~~
Iowa Wine Experience: Fairgoers can find out how ISU Extension and Outreach is helping with Iowa's growing wine industry at Grandfather's Barn and the Iowa Wine Experience. ISU Extension viticulture specialists will be on hand to answer questions, and daily grape stomps allow everyone to get in on the fun.
Iowa 4-H at the State Fair: Thousands of youth from across the state will be participating in the 2013 Iowa State Fair with exhibits, presentations and competitions. The 4-H Exhibits Building features more than 4,000 exhibits from Iowa 4-H'ers, and 4-H agricultural exhibits at the Iowa State Fair include beef, dairy, dog, horse, horticulture, poultry, rabbit, sheep and swine. In addition:
* Many acts involving hundreds of 4-H members will take the stage in Share The Fun, a communication event in which 4-H members share talents and skills in front of a live audience.
* Youth will create French, South American and Cajun cuisines in the 2013 Cook This! 4-H Culinary Challenge Friday and Saturday, Aug. 9-10.
* Teams will compete in the 2013 Bratney Companies 4-H Robotics Challenge on Sunday and Monday, Aug. 11-12.
* Nearly 200 youth will compete in the 2013 Awardrobe Clothing Event on Thursday and Friday, Aug. 15-16, at the Memorial Union on the Iowa State campus.
* 4-H'ers will showcase youth-produced films in the 2013 Iowa 4-H Film Festival Showcase on Saturday, Aug. 17.
Food Finder App for iPhone: ISU Extension and Outreach is once again partnering with the Des Moines Register to bring fairgoers the Food Finder app for iOS devices and mobile Web. The Food Finder app provides fairgoers with an easy way to find the food and vendors they are looking for, as well as the nutritional information for popular menu items. Information also is included on the activity to burn off calories, and a calendar of events is included with a focus on "healthy" events. The app can be downloaded from the App Store.