Deadline Is June 1 for USDA Farm Program Signup

Deadline Is June 1 for USDA Farm Program Signup

Farmers have until June 1 to sign up for 2010 crop DCP and ACRE programs.

FAQ: I signed up for USDA's Direct and Countercyclical Payment Program last year but didn't choose to enroll in the Average Crop Revenue Election or ACRE option. Can I elect to enroll in ACRE this year?

Answer: Provided by Kevin McClure, state program specialist for USDA's Farm Service Agency in Des Moines.

Yes, you can enroll in ACRE in 2010. Farmers have until June 1 to sign up for the 2010 Direct & Counter-Cyclical Payment program (DCP) and also the Average Crop Revenue Election (ACRE) program. Farmers wanting to "elect" the ACRE option on a farm for the first time in 2010 only have until June 1 also. There are no late file provisions past the June 1 deadline.

Note that the June 1 date this year is earlier than signup deadlines for previous years. Mark your calendar to be sure you meet the deadline but don't wait until the last minute to make your signup decision. It's a good idea to go to your local FSA office as soon as possible and start gathering the information you need to make your decisions.

What information do you need to bring to FSA office?

What information or documents does a farmer need to bring to the local FSA office to sign up for this year's USDA farm program? Producers do not have to bring in specific items to complete the enrollment process. But there are some forms to be signed.

Producers who rent farms on a crop-share agreement will need to obtain signatures on the DCP/ACRE contracts of the additional producers on the farm, and that includes the landowner's signature.

Producers who cash rent farms do have a few options for securing landowner signatures.

  • First, they can take the DCP/ACRE contract out to the landowners and have them sign the actual FSA contract.
  • A second option is to have the landowners write and sign a cash rent statement for the 2010 crop year and you can provide that signed statement to the county FSA office.
  • The third option is the farmer can provide a copy of the written lease agreement to FSA. The lease must specifically state that this cash rent lease is for the 2010 crop year. Also, if the farmer has an FSA "Power of Attorney" form properly signed and on file at the FSA office for the landowners, then the farmer can sign the DCP/ACRE contract on the landowner's behalf.

If you have specific questions or need details regarding USDA farm programs, contact your local USDA Farm Service Agency office. You can also get news and information about DCP, ACRE and other USDA programs at

Two Iowa State University Extension Web sites have farm program information and analysis. They are ISU's Ag Decision Maker site at and ISU Extension Specialist Steve Johnson's site at

And be sure to read the regular column "Frequently Asked Questions about the Farm Program" that appears in each issue of Wallaces Farmer magazine and at

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.