FAQ: Yield Information and ACRE

Just what do I need to provide to take part in the program?

What yield data will I need to provide for ACRE?
Answer: Provided by Steve Johnson, ISU Extension farm management specialist.

Eligibility and level of payments under ACRE will have both state-level revenue triggers and farm-level revenue triggers. Revenue is yield times price. The yield used will be a 5-year Olympic average of yields per planted acre. That means throwing out the high and the low numbers, then averaging the yields for the remaining three years.

Rounding up yield data for 2004 through 2007 will take some looking through your records to gather the information. Preserving 2008 yield data at harvest makes the process easier for farmers who did that.

To prepare for ACRE, you should provide net production in bushels for corn and soybeans by FSA farm number beginning this fall. That would “prove your yield” for 2008.

In most cash-rent situations, the tenant will likely sign up for ACRE and get the ACRE payment because the tenant assumes all the risk. In a crop share situation for ACRE, tenant and landlord would both need to sign up.

If you have a question you’d like answered regarding the new USDA farm program, please send it to [email protected]. We will pass it on to the ISU Extension specialists or to the program specialists at USDA’s Farm Service Agency office in Des Moines and they will send you the answer.

For more information and analysis of the new Farm Bill, see ISU’s Ag Decision Maker site www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm. For clarification on farm program details contact your local FSA office.

TAGS: Soybean USDA
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.