The 65th annual observance of National Farm Safety and Health Week is scheduled for Sept. 21-27. This year the week is organized around the theme "Farm Safely - Protect Your Investment," chosen by the National Safety Council.
Several organizations with interests in farm safety and health are participating in the observance, including the Iowa Farm Safety Council, Farm Safety 4 Just Kids, the University of Iowa, the National Safety Council, and the National Children's Center. Iowa State University Extension is coordinating distribution of safety materials prepared by those groups, under direction of Charles Schwab, ISU Extension safety specialist and agricultural engineer.
Materials in the Farm Safety and Health Week packet include the following documents:
* Iowa Farm Safety and Health Week Proclamation, 2008, by the Governor of Iowa
* Safety Contacts in Iowa, a 2008 directory of Iowa professionals who respond to farm safety issues, produced by ISU Extension's Safe Farm program.
* Iowa Farm Safety and Health Week news release, Iowa Farm Safety Council
* Children and Youth Health and Safety Day poster, Farm Safety Just For Kids
* I-CASH to Honor Pioneer Hi-Bred with Hall of Fame Award, University of Iowa news release
* I-CASH Honors Teresa Mowrer with Hall of Fame Award, University of Iowa news release
* Reduce the Risk of Noise-induced Hearing Loss, news release, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
* YOUR Personal Protection, fact sheet, Farm Service Agency, U.S. Department of Agriculture
* 2008 Fact Sheet on Childhood Agricultural Injuries, National Children's Center for Rural Agricultural Health and Safety
* National Farm Safety and Health Week logos, color and black and white, National Safety Council
* Road Safety, a Shared Responsibility, news release, Iowa State University Extension
These files are available as pdf files and you can print them off as they are online at www.extension.iastate.edu/news/2008/sep/060901.htm. They are also available as printed publications from ISU Extension county offices.