Farmers Can Update Information on Hay & Straw Directory

Farmers Can Update Information on Hay & Straw Directory

If you have hay or straw for sale be sure to update your listing on Iowa Department of Agriculture's online Hay & Straw Directory.

Iowa hay and straw producers are encouraged to register or update their listing on the Iowa Hay & Straw Directory. The directory lists Iowa producers with hay and straw for sale, as well as organizations and businesses associated with promoting and marketing quality hay and straw.

"The directory has been a great tool for farmers and we hope both buyers and sellers will take time to review and update their information so that it remains a valuable resource," says Bill Northey, Iowa Secretary of Agriculture. "With the continued tight supply of forage crops, this directory serves as a critical link for buyers and sellers."

HAY FOR SALE: If you have hay or straw to sell and you farm in Iowa, you can list it for free on the Iowa Department of Agriculture's website. If you want to buy hay or straw, you can sort through the listings and contact the seller you choose and make your purchase. The directory also lists organizations and businesses associated with promoting and marketing hay and straw.

The listing is available online to interested buyers throughout the nation, however only sellers from within Iowa can be included on the list. Names are gathered throughout the year with added emphasis now that hay harvest is ongoing. Sections within the Hay & Straw Directory include forage for sale, forage auctions, hay associations, forage dealers, hay grinders and custom balers.

Visit Iowa Department of Agriculture website to update your information, or to list your hay or straw for sale this first time if you haven't already listed it

Farmers interested in listing hay or straw should visit the ag department's website. An application form can be found by going to the Bureaus link and then selecting Agricultural Diversification and Market Development. Then click on Hay & Straw Directory on the right side of the page under Directories. If you don't have Internet access, call the Hay/Straw Hotline at 800-383-5079. The department will fax or send a printed copy of the application to be filled out.

The state agriculture department is also supporting the Iowa Crop Improvement Association's Iowa Noxious Weed Seed Free Forage and Mulch Certification Program. Through this program Iowa forage and mulch producers can take advantage of many emerging market opportunities for "Certified Weed Free" products. For more specific information on this program producers should contact the Iowa Crop Improvement Association at 515-294-6921.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.