Iowa Barn Foundation Invites You To September 2009 All-State Barn Tour

Iowa Barn Foundation Invites You To September 2009 All-State Barn Tour

Historic restored barns throughout Iowa will be open to the public during the free, self-guided tour September 19 and 20.

Historic restored barns, throughout Iowa, will be opened to the public

during the Iowa Barn Foundation's free, two-day, self-guided, all-state

barn tour Saturday and Sunday, September 19 and 20 from 9:30 a.m. to

5:30 p.m.

 

Most barns on tour have been restored with matching grants from the Iowa

Barn Foundation. Other property owners received awards of distinction

from the foundation for restorations they undertook themselves.

 

The Iowa Barn Foundation, an all-volunteer, non-profit organization,

raises money from individuals, foundations, and corporations to give

matching grants to property owners to restore their barns. The property

The Dighton barn in Delaware County is a round barn on the National Register and was built in 1914 by Rob Kirkpatrick, grandfather of the owner. It is one of the many magnificent structures on the Iowa 2009 All-State Barn tour Sept. 19-20.

owner must sign a perpetual easement when receiving a grant. The

foundation sponsors a spring "area" tour and publishes the semi-annual

Iowa Barn Foundation Magazine.

 

Owners will discuss the barns at many of the stops

 

The purpose of the tour is to encourage barn preservation in the state,

to teach young people about Iowa's rich agricultural heritage, and to

renew pride in this unique heritage. Owners will discuss the barns and

their histories at many stops. Visitors are expected from around the

country.

 

The tour is free although donations to support the foundation's work are

appreciated. For more information contact Roxanne Mehlisch at (641) 487 7690 or [email protected]

<mailto:[email protected]> or visit the Web site www.iowabarnfoundation.org

 

Here is a list of the barns on the tour in various areas of the state.

 

Northwest Iowa barns

* Jones barn at 2138 Verdin Avenue, near Ocheyedan in Osceola County. From Highway 59, turn east on A-34 blacktop (220th Street) and go

to Verdin Avenue. Turn north on gravel for nine miles. Barn is ½ mile

north on east side of road. One of the largest barns in the area, this barn was

built in 1917 and is very unusual.

 

*Darin and Jenny Johnson barn at 6610 460th Street, near Sutherland in O'Brien County. Barn was built about 1920 for John Adams, a dairy farmer. It

has a footprint of over 2,000 square feet. Twin cupolas and horse

weathervanes are original. Arched rafters had to be hoisted in place

with pulleys and horse power. This allowed for access to the loft

without support poles.

 

* Ascherl barn at 4680 McKinley, near Granville in O'Brien/Sioux Counties. From Granville, go one mile east on Highway 10 and a half mile south on

gravel. Barn is on east side of road. This landmark barn was built in

1914 by Mr. Diers from Germantown. It is 60 x 54 feet.

 

* Battaglioli barn at 4819 480th Street, at Granville in O'Brien County.

From Granville, take Highway 10 east two miles. Turn south on Monroe and drive two miles to 480th Street. Then travel east a quarter of a mile. This is one of the few large barns left in the area.

 

* Dwyer barn at 774 480th Street near Linn Grove in Buena Vista County. The barn is on a hill on C25 five miles west of Rembrandt at 80th Avenue and four miles south of Linn Grove. It is a turn-of-the-century barn on land homesteaded about 1875. (Award of Distinction)

 

* Mickelson barn at 5126 Highway 71, at Storm Lake in Buena Vista County. Located 1 ¾ miles north of intersection of Highways 3 and 71 on the east side of the road. This huge (100 x 70 x 45 feet) and distinct barn was built in 1901 to house 22 work horses. Owner Roger Mickelson has lived on the family farm for 76 years.

 

* Johnson barn at 5075 525th Avenue near Rolfe in Palo Alto County. From the southwest side of Rolfe, find 290th Street. Go seven miles north to 400th (510th ) Avenue. Go west one-half mile to 525th Avenue. Turn north and go one-fourth mile. This barn was built in 1950 by twins, Lovell and Rodell Long, for Fritz Johnson's cow and pig operation. Barn has laminated rafters constructed in eight

layers. Rafters are set on two-foot foundation to allow for haymow.

 

* Ferguson barn at 40415 130th Avenue near Laurens in Pocahontas County. Barn is 3 ¾ miles straight north of Laurens at on 130th Avenue. Barn and landmark "conehead" crib were built in 1912. Elevator still works.

 

* Clancy Barn at 1866 Marengo (Highway 4 and 7) near Pomeroy in Pocahontas

County. Barn was built in 1948 by Leon Clancy, charter member of

Charolais Association, as he raised the cattle on the farm.

 

North Central Iowa Barns

* Dreyer barn at 102 310th Street at Fenton in Kossuth County. From

the south side of Fenton, turn west on County Road B 19. Go ¾ miles

west to second place of south side of road. The farm has been in the

family since 1900; barn was built in 1903 and used as dairy barn until

1944. There is a 1,000-gallon wooden water storage tank in hayloft.

Manure unloading system is intact.

 

* Haugen barn at 8446 420^th Street near Leland in Winnebago County. Go north out of Leland on US 69 to 420th Street (three miles). Turn

right on 420th (gravel). It is the first place on north side. Barn was

built in 1915. In 1924 Peter Haugen enlarged it using a handsaw to split

the barn in two. He added to the middle.

 

* Tenold barn at 4356 Wheelerwood Road at Northwood in Worth County.  Get off of I-35 at Kensett/Joice exit. Go ¼ miles west to Wheelerwood Road.

Turn north and travel 2.5 miles. Barn is across from what was the town

of Tenold on the Iowa map until 1960.

 

* Rockafellow barn at 4484 Echo Avenue near St. Ansgar in Mitchell County. Go north out of St. Ansgar on US 218 for two miles. Turn left at Echo Avenue. Beautiful bank barn, with a limestone foundation, was built in 1877 for horses and cattle. The timber was framed with wooden pegs.

 

* Yezek barn at 22881 Vine Avenue near Plymouth in Cerro Gordo County. From Rock Falls, go one mile north on the county blacktop. Barn is on the east side of the road. This 32- x 52-foot barn with metal cupola was built in 1930 and is one of the only barns standing in the area. The barn was in vulnerable condition when the Yezeks started the restoration project.

 

* McBurney barn at 2550 Gotch Park Road near Humboldt in Humboldt County. At the Westside elevator, turn right. Go to Gotch Park Road and take the black top 2.5 miles. Stephen Taft, who founded Springvale which became Humboldt, owned the land on which this barn stands. In 1874 he sold the land to Lorbeers who built the house and barn, both still in use. The barn was built in 1890.

 

* Bennett barn at 1664 Eagle Avenue, at Latimer in Franklin County. Take I-35 to State Highway 3. Turn west on 3 and go one mile to Eagle Avenue. Turn north and go 2.5 miles. This handsome clay tile barn, with round laminated rafter roof, was built in 1950 by Henning Construction Company, Latimer, for a dairy herd. The cow stanchions had drinking cups; there is a chain lift manure carrier.

 

* Klousia barn at 1766 165th St. near Hampton in Franklin County. At the intersection of Highways 65 and 3 in Hampton, turn east for two miles. Then travel north for two miles and finally west a fourth mile to the barn. The barn of peg construction is on a hill on a gorgeous farmstead. The owner copied a Wisconsin dairy barn when he built it in 1888. The barn was proudly placed on the most prominent position on the farm.

 

* Dodd barn at 1854 40th Street near Ackley in Franklin County. Travel four miles west of Ackley on Highway 57. Turn north on S55 for two miles to 40th Street. Go ½ mile west. Barn was built by Ernest Aldinger, one of three Aldinger brothers who established farms within a mile of each other.

 

* Blazek barn at 1755 Ridgeway Boulevard near Lawler in Butler County. Turn off Highway 24 into Lawler. Go north through Lawler to V46. Follow V46 three miles to farm. Distinguished large barn had a drive-through center where teams of horses pulled and unloaded full loads of hay. Barn dances were held in mow in early 1900s.

 

* Younker Family Heritage Farm barn at 25734 Highway 57, south of Parkersburg in Butler County. Take Highway 14 north of US 20 to Highway 57 and turn east. This large (112x30) barn has been in the same family since the barn was built in 1875. The landmark barn was recently lovingly restored by Eleanor Tostlebe Peterson and family. (Award of Distinction.)

 

* Welter barn at 13725 X, Avenue in Cedar Falls in Black Hawk County. Original blueprints developed by Agricultural Engineering Department at Iowa State University. It was built in 1947. Working farm was purchased in 1867 by Ole Johnson and has been in the same family since.

 

* James Michels barn at 1278 Mason Avenue near Stanley in Buchanan County. From Hazelton, go east on C 57 for three miles to Mason

Avenue. Turn south and go 3/4 miles. Barn is on the east side of road. Redwood tongue and groove 40'x 80' barn was built in 1947. The family has raised Angus cattle since 1947.

 

Northeast Iowa Barns

* Anderson barn at 1245 Chimney Rock Road near Waterville in Allamakee County. From stop light in Waukon, travel east on Elon Road (A 52) about 6.8 miles to Chimney Rock Road, a "T" intersection Turn right onto Chimney Rock Road and travel south. Large building is corn crib, granary, hog barn, and machine shed and was built in two parts in 1907-08. The corncrib/granary has a basement for hogs. The second part was added to the north end of the original building later that year or the next year.

 

* Lea-Oakley Barn at 2279 County Road W42 near Decorah. Native limestone

Norwegian barn was built by John Johnson in 1862. Original materials are

in tact. Barn has a gambrel roof with wooden shingles that was probably

added at a later date. Original roof would have been a gable roof.

 

* Gribble barn at 3109 155th Street near Ft. Atkinson in Winneshiek County. From New Hampton, take Highway 24 east for 19 miles to 295th Avenue. Take a left and drive 2.5 miles to 155th Street. Turn left and go 1.5 miles. Czech barn on lovely farm has always been in family.

 

* Ellingson barn at 19987 Timber Avenue near Cresco in Howard County. Barn can be seen from Dr. Borlaug's farm, half a mile away. The family farm has been beautifully restored.

 

* Hutchinson barn at 2299 Scenic River Road near Decorah in Winneshiek County. From Decorah, drive seven miles northwest on Bluffton Road. Turn right on Scenic River Road. Hutchinson farm is one place on the right. Farm has been in the family for 100 years. The barn was built in 1929. Farm is postcard idyllic.

 

* Palmer barn at 1206 150th Street near Castalia in Winneshiek County. From Decorah intersection of Highways 9 and 52, go east on Highway 9 for 5.8 miles to Centennial road. Turn right on Centennial and go 8.4 miles (Centennial becomes W 46). Turn left on 150th Street. Go 1.7 miles to Palmer barn. Rock from nearby quarry using teams and wagons. Framing of barn was oak harvested from own woodlands. Portable sawmill was brought to saw logs. Some 200-300 men came for one day barn raising; each man given a new hammer.

 

* Dougherty barn at 901 Pole Line Road near Postville in Allamakee County. From Postville, go south on Highway 51 to Highway 9. Turn left on Highway 9 and go one mile to Pole Line Road. Turn right and go three miles north. Barn was built around 1900 and has redwood silo inside. The 50- x 70-foot barn has a limestone foundation.

 

* Hotvedt barn at 996 County Road A 14, west of Hesper on the state

line in Winneshiek County. John McMullens bought farm from government in 1852 for $1.25 and acre. Nearby Mable, Minnesota's steam engine days started on the farm. Farm was in family until 1990.

 

* Dighton barn at 3344 120th Avenue near Coggon in Delaware County. Take paved road going west out of town for one mile to Quality Ridge Road. Turn north for 1.5 mile. Round barn on National Register was built in 1914 by Rob Kirkpatrick, grandfather of owner. It is intricate. (Adopt-a-Barn Award)

 

* Geschke barn at 1744 McCloud near New Hampton in Chickasaw County. Go two miles north of New Hampton on US 63 (mile marker #207). Barn, on a hill on US 63, was built in the 1940s and has manger doors and baby calf feeding stanchions for milking.

 

 

West Central Iowa Barns

* Finken barn at 3005 335th Street near Logan in Harrison County. Take I-80 west to I-680. Proceed west to Exit 21 which is L 34 (Beebeetown). Turn east (F 66) for 1.5 miles. Land has been in family since 1892; barn was built in 1917. Roof has laminated rafters which were raised into place with gin pole and horses. Each rafter is five boards thick bolted together and cut in curved shape.

 

* Belfrage barn at 2410 Port Neal Road at Sergeant Bluff in Woodbury County. Get off I-29 at the Port Neal exit 135 and go west for two miles to first intersection.. Then go north two miles. Farm is on the right. Owner Winston Belfrage's great-grandfather, John Belfrage, bought the land on which this barn stands in 1875 after serving in the Civil War.

 

* Ellis barn at 2370 Fletcher Avenue near Lytton in Calhoun County. The barn is three miles east and 2.5 miles north of Lytton. Landmark red barn, used to raise Red Rock Arabians, is called the "big red barn" by locals. It was built in 1918 and is 40 feet high to the eaves. It has 3x12-inch timbers.

 

* Sextro Crib at 12708 280th St near Manning in Carroll County. From Carroll go eight miles west on Highway 30; nine miles south on M68, one-fourth miles west. Landmark crib was built in early 1900s. It is one of the oldest cribs in the area.

 

* Renze barn at 22695 Highway 71, near Carroll in Carroll County. Three

miles west of Carroll. Farm was known as "Old Mattes Place."

 

* Wooster barn at 2435 2100th Street near Manning in Shelby County. From

Irwin, take the highway east five miles; turn north on gravel for one mile and turn east for ¾ miles. From Manning, go seven miles south on Airport Road on the west side of town. Turn west for 1 ¾ miles. Mr. Wooster's grandfather built this barn in 1896. It has always been used in the family farming operation and still is.

 

* Heflin barn at 837 Orange Road near Harlan in Shelby County. From the intersection of US 59 and State 44, go four miles east on 44 to Orange Road. Then go one and a fourth miles south. Farm is on the east side of the road. Once there were several of these unique barns in the area, but this is the only one remaining. The barn, built in 1901 and featuring a roofline of four equidistant gabled sides, has been used by four generations of Heflins.

 

* Hindraker barn at 2698 Jaguar Trail near Guthrie Center in Guthrie County. From Guthrie Center go west on Highway 44 for three miles. Turn left on Jaguar and go 4.5 miles south. The original barn was built at the turn of the century. It burned down in 1931, and the present barn was built.

 

* Caltrider barn at 3016 Juniper near Casey in Guthrie County. Exit I-80 at Casey and take Whitepole Road to Highway 25. Turn north for three miles to 310th . Turn left, and go four miles west to Juniper Avenue. Farm is ¾ mile north on east side of road. Farm has been in same family since 1883. Simple barn was built in 1917.

 

 

Central Iowa Barns

 

* Apland/Freeland Barn at 57304 Highway 210 at Cambridge in Story County. Get off I 35 at Highway 210 exit and go east. Visible-from freeway barn is on south side of the road. Glorious pegged barn was built by Jens Russell for Norwegian immigrant, Oley Apland. Original carving arguably written by Oley Apland in English and Norwegian marks date construction was completed. (This building is built by Jens Russell from Cambridge in year 1875.) Structural beams are walnut. Barn sits in historic Norwegian settlement and remains in the original family. (Award of Distinction)

 

* Thurmond-Adams barn at south edge of Williams in Hamilton County. From D 25 (Old 30) south of Williams, turn north on R 75. Turn right on 4th , right on Spruce, and right on Evergreen. Owner recently inherited old tongue and groove barn (36 x 63 feet), with two-inch vertical siding, and two acres from his uncle. He has brought the sad-looking structure so that it is a Williams landmark. (Award of

Distinction)

 

* Sparks barn at 15737 E. Avenue, Alden in Hardin County. Take Alden Buckeye exit off US 20. Go north to D25. Go west to Avenue E. The name G. Herman, 1923, Dubuque, is painted on west inside wall of this very large barn.

 

* Uetz barn at 2011 180th Street at U Avenue near Boone in Boone County. From Highway 30, take Highway 17 north for five miles (curves and stop

signs). Turn right at 180th Street and go east one mile. Barn built by William Smalley, well-known Boone County farmer. Original buildings are on farm including chicken house where family lived in the beginning.

 

* Handsaker barn at 65627 200th near Fernald in Story County. Barn is

immediately southeast of Fernald which is off E 29 west of U.S. 65,

north of Colo. Large, unique 1875 square barn is on farm purchased by

Handsakers in 1853. Family gave land for Fernald.

 

* Twedt barn at 63645 160th Street at Nevada in Story County. From Ames, go north on I 35 to E 29. Go east on E 29 to S14 and turn left and travel three miles to 160th Street. Barn utilized 40 two-ply laminate rafters to support rounded roof so hayloft is free of posts and beams. Farm was once owned by Hoyt Sherman, brother of the Civil War general.

 

* Buck barn at 1271 285th Street at State Center in Marshall County. From State Center, go west one mile to Cooper Avenue. Go 4.5 miles south to 285th Street. Turn left on gravel. Barn is at first place on left. Barn is an example of how a potential tear-down can be turned into a jewel. It has a wonderful cupola.

 

* Pfantz Barn at 210 4th Avenue NE in State Center in Marshall County. From US 30, go into State Center. Fourth Street is on north side of railroad tracks. Barn is behind Victorian house. Unique horse barn was built in 1902 for Pfantz's

great-grandfather, well-known horse broker. The barn has such unique

features as handmade screens and a milk cellar. Note the balloon rafters.

 

* Smith barn at 2947 170th Street, Marshalltown in Marshall County. Go north on Highway 14 to Garvin Road. Go east to Underwood and turn north and turn east on 170th Street. This lovely barn, built in 1915, has been so beautifully restored that the original hardware on doors and windows is highlighted. The original wiring and switches remain and work. (Award of Distinction).

 

* Purviance barn at 21501 H Avenue near Minburn in Dallas County. Take P58 (from Perry, go south at Hy-Vee corner or from Highway 44, go

north) to F 31. Turn west for two miles. Turn south on H Avenue (gravel) and go ½ mile to first farm on west side of road. Local craftsmen built this historic family farm in 1913 for Robert Purviance,

prominent Dallas County farmer. The house and two barns are original.

 

* Richards barn at 2201 R near Jamaica in Greene County. Go three

miles south of Old 30 on Q Avenue (P30) which becomes R Avenue. The

Thornburgh Home Place shows off all of the original buildings, which

have been lovingly preserved, including a 1930s milking barn with

original stanchions. (Award of Distinction)

 

* Becker barn at 13081 NW 158th Av., near Madrid in Polk County. Two miles

south of Madrid on Highway 17, turn east on 158th Ave. and go ¾ mile. This pleasant old barn was teetering to oblivion when it was recently

restored.

 

* Hanson barn at 11590 N. 87th Av. W., near Mingo in Jasper County. At

the junctions of Highways 65, 330, and 117, continue northeast on 330.

Go one mile to F 17 and turn east for 0.4 of a mile to W. 122nd St.

N, and turn right. Go 0.4 of a mile to 87th Av. W and turn left. The

barn is a little over 0.7 of a mile on the left side of the road. Barn

was built in 1907 with wood from older barn demolished by a tornado.

Pegged barn was built by Elmer Haley and the Hansons.

 

* Gary Richardson barn at 624 E. 150^th St. N., near Grinnell in Poweshiek County. From Grinnell, go south three miles on #146; then west on 410th for three miles. Barn is on the southside. Barn was built in the mid-1940s. Much of the wood used in the interior was from wood used in clearing the land.

 

* Ihde barn at 6647 E. 136th Street N. near Grinnell in Poweshiek County. From Grinnell, take Highway 6 west to T 38; turn north. Take F 27 for 1.5 miles to 136th N. Barn was designed to emphasize the short, compact body of Angus via two contrasting ceiling levels and higher center alley floor as compared to pen floor. Ceiling above cattle made cattle appear to have larger body size relative to space they occupied. Young couple, beginning farmers, are restoring the farm.

 

* Lang barn at 2334 Sixth Street in Grinnell in Poweshiek County. This early 20th century brick barn is a landmark in Grinnell. It is restored. A smaller barn, across the road, was built in 1896 and is used for agriculture. (Award of Distinction)

 

 

East Central Iowa Barns

 

* Strabala barn at 1830 290tth Street near Washington in Washington County. From Washington go south on Highway 1 for 5.5 miles. Turn west on 290th and go one-half mile. The barn is on the right. This large barn was built in the 1920's by distinguished United States Senator Smith Brookhart while he was in office. Barn is important to Iowa and America.

 

* Clasen barn at 25219 200th Street near Bellevue in Jackson County. Wider-than-usual barn has bark on support timbers.

 

* Delaney barn at 23477 Bellevue-Cascade Road near LeMotte in Jackson County. This lovely farm is known as Sprank farm. Large barn was built around 1900, and the smaller one in 1940. Large barn has wood peg construction.

 

* The DeFries Barn on the Doris and Jack Dyas Farm at 17929 232nd Ave. near Maquoketa in Jackson County. Go north out of Andrew on Highway 62, then left on Y61- 250th Avenue (two miles) and left again on 180th St. Go ½ miles to first farm on left at 232nd Avenue. The 47 x 84-foot barn was built in 1885 by A.B. DeFries whose family settled in the area in the 1850s. It has post and beam pegged construction.

 

* Gehlen barn on Main Street in St. Donatus inJackson County. This magnificent three-story limestone barn, one of the oldest (arguably built in 1839) in Iowa, sits in the middle of this historic Luxembourgish village. (Award of Distinction)

 

* Michaels barn at 39016 308th Street near Bellevue in Jackson County. Pegged barn was built in 1926 and has been in the same family for

three generations. (Award of Distinction)

 

* Stromeyer barn at 37647 Iron Bridge Road near Spragueville in Jackson County. From Maquoketa, go east on Highway 64 for 14 miles. Turn left on H 113 to Spragueville. At stop sign in Spragueville, turn left onto Iron Bridge Road and go two miles. Or, take Highway 62 north out of Maquoketa to Iron Bridge Road turnoff south of Andrew. Travel nine miles on Iron Bridge Road. The Stromeyer farm is a beloved historic family farm. The barn was restored by the family. A pioneer cemetery can be seen from the barn. (Award of Distinction)

 

* Ulch barn at 4672 Sutliff Road at Solon in Johnson County. On the north edge of Solon is a blacktop, Sutliff Road. Take it east one mile. This barn, built around 1905, is unique in that it is very primitive. The barn is used in farming.

 

* Schneckloth crib at 23553 200th Avenue near Eldridge in Scott County. Exit US 61 at Exit 127. Go east on LeClaire Road three miles. Then go south on 200th a half mile. Herbert Schneckloth, prominent Iowa farmer, whose family emigrated from Germany in 1854, built the landmark round crib in 1926. Work on the 50-feet in diameter structure was done with hand tools. The foundation was dug and poured by hand using a shovel and one-third of a bag of home mix at a time. Handmade forms were used to pour the concrete. Ventilation block tile and matching solid tile were brought from Adel by train and horse-drawn wagons.

 

* Zelle barn at 1503 Holland St. near Le Claire in Scott County. Take #306 exit off I-80. Turn left at lights (north) and go through Le Claire. Turn left on Holland Street. Go up hill for 1.5 miles until blacktop ends. Drive is 100 feet on right. This is 19th century family farm has one of the few barns left in Scott County.

 

 

Southwest Iowa Barns

 

* Kochersperger barn at 64094 US 59 in Mills County. Four miles

south of Emerson. Jacob Kochersperger farm has been in the family since

1870. Barn was built in 1941.

 

 

South Central Iowa Barns

 

* Beeler barn at 2569 140th Street near Van Meter in Madison County. From DeSoto, go south on Highway 169. Turn east on 130th Street to stop sign. Then go south on Prairieview Avenue and finally east on 140th Street. Barn is in what was a strong German settlement. Barn was built by the Burger brothers including one who became the first county agent in Iowa.

 

* McBroom-Hargis barn at 1218 Highway 169 near Winterset in Madison County. Barn is five miles south of I-80 (Adel, De Soto, Winterset exit). Article in Madison County paper (1884) wrote about this barn, "It would be the largest barn in this part of the county." It has a wooden track, post and beam, pegs and was designed by I.F. Carter of De Soto.

 

* Gillespie barn at 1257 Highway 92 at Winterset in Madison County. Barn was built in 1874 by W. George, great-grandfather of the owner. It is located on Old Bluff Road which carried early settlers to Council Bluffs.

 

* Oswald barn at 1071 Harken Hills Drive at Osceola in Clarke County. Take

Highway 34 through Osceola; go another half mile to Harken Hills Drive

on the south side of the road. Beef barn was designed in the 1930s and

can be converted into a show pavilion to seat 1000. Pure-bred Angus were

developed there by Dr. C.R. Harken, Osceola physician. Farm was operated

with view of helping small producer market his animals. J.C. Penney

often visited the farm.

 

* Redman barn at 2034 205th Avenue near Osceola in Clarke County. From I-35, take US 34 west 2.5 miles. Barn was built in 1916 and has been owned by two different families

 

 

Southeast Iowa Barns

 

* Cutkomp barn at 22682 120th Street near Columbus Junction in Louisa County. Take Highway 92 from Columbus Junction south to Columbus City. From Columbus City, go straight south. Road becomes gravel and T Avenue. Make "S" turn and go straight 2 miles to 120th Street. Take a left (east), and it's first barn on north. Barn was originally built by Lewis Cutkomp in 1911. Native lumber was harvested on the place for the barn put together with wooden pegs. Cutkomp bought the farm in the late 1800s, and it has remained in the family.

 

* Bartelt barn at 16296 Highway 61, near Mediapolis in Des Moines County. The barn is seven miles south of Mediapolis. The owners saw this barn falling into disrepair and subsequently bought and restored it. It is peg and post basement barn with a limestone foundation. (Award of Distinction)

 

* Murphy barn at 7606 Stony Hollow Road near Burlington in Des Moines County. Stony Hollow Road goes off Highway 99. Primitive historic barn has horse stalls, milking area, hog house, corn crib, cattle feeding area, and hay loft. Barn is still used for agriculture. (Award of Distinction)

 

 

Southern Iowa Barns

 

* Irwin barn at 4753 85th Street near Batavia in Wapello County. Go

east from Ottumwa on US 34 to Eldon-Competine Road exit. Drive

north to first crossroad, then left onto 85th Street. Barn is in pasture. Go through gate, to access barn and grain bin, but close afterwards. Even in depression times, when this barn was built, more expensive three-pin construction of beams rather than standard two-pin construction was used on beams. Has three-hip roof or three level roof. Barn is near Yaapa flag station on old narrow gauge track.

 

* Parsons barn at 22055 Highway 1, at Keosauqua in Van Buren County. Highway 1 south of Keosauqua Bridge at top of the hill on the west side. This is a small Pennsylvania style barn built for practical purposes rather than tradition.

 

* Kosman barn at 10611 240th Avenue, near Weldon in Decatur County.  From Osceola, take US 69 south 10 miles to Clarke-Decatur Street. Turn east and go one mile to first gravel road. Turn south. Barn is second house on the west side. Barn, built in 1907, was the scene of large barn dances. Barn has always been used for horses and cows.

 

* Ramsey barn east of Mount Ayr on Highway 2 at Lesanville Road

in Ringgold County. From I-35, take Highway 2 west 25 miles to Lesanville Road. Lesanville Road is 5 miles west of Kellerton. Turn north on Lesanville Road and travel one-fourth mile. Solomon Lesan, one of the first settlers in the county, obtained the farm from the government in 1855. The village of Lesanville, site of the barn, has recently been restored.

 

* McCaughey barn at 2531 Highway2 (1/2 mile west of Ramsey barn on south

side of road in Ringgold County. From I-35, take Highway 2 west 25 miles past Lesanville Road. Howard Lesan built this large (40 x 80-foot) barn for his dairy, the first in the county. This barn was built in 1929 after a fire took an earlier one.

 

 

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish