By Stephen Lauer
Free and open to the public, the Iowa Hunger Summit is an annual event which gathers concerned citizens and leaders from across Iowa. They represent community organizations, business and industry, state and local government, social agencies, churches and religious communities, schools and universities, and other groups that lead or participate in projects to confront hunger.
The Iowa Hunger Summit celebrates Iowa's contribution toward ensuring adequate food for all and increases statewide awareness of hunger, poverty and related issues. Attendees hear what other groups around the state are doing to help solve hunger and related problems in their local communities.
The full day of events includes:
• Panel discussions on the evolving challenge of hunger in Iowa, proven models for successfully fighting hunger from Iowa, the United States and around the world, and presentations on the geography of hunger and health
• A morning keynote address by Bishop Richard E. Pates, Chairman of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishop's Committee on International Justice and Peace, whose work has recently taken him to Africa, Latin America, and Iran
• A special address by Ms. Margaret Hoover; author, activist, CNN political analyst, and great-granddaughter of President Herbert Hoover
Iowa Hunger Luncheon
• Opening remarks by Gov. Terry E. Branstad
• The presentation of the "Robert D. Ray Iowa SHARES Humanitarian Award" to Mrs. Merry Fredrick, whose leadership of Self Help International has improved lives for countless people around the world and in so doing, carried on Iowa's incredible and historic hunger-fighting legacy
• A keynote address by Mr. Dennis Dimick, Executive Editor with National Geographic, who will speak about the magnificent National Geographic "The Future of Food" series, which explores our collective challenge of feeding 9 billion people by the year 2050, through stunning photography and profound stories from around the world
• Afternoon workshops will provide in-depth conversation on topics of interest and practical tools for taking the fight against hunger to the next level
• Meal packaging shifts will occur throughout the day as part of the Iowa Hunger Fight, presented by DuPont Pioneer in conjunction with Meals From The Heartland
• A full room of exhibits featuring Iowan organizations and initiatives working to end hunger
Full event details and agenda at www.iowahungersummit.org
THIS EVENT IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Date: Tuesday October 14
Time: 9:00 am to 3 pm, doors open at 8 am
Location: Marriott Hotel, 700 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa, 50309
Register Now: www.worldfoodprize.org/hsregister
Network year-round through the Iowa Hunger Directory
Throughout the year, the online Iowa Hunger Directory promotes networking and collaboration among Iowa's hunger fighters by profiling every Iowa organization, business, and civic group whose work impacts hunger in Iowa or abroad. Join the directory online or contact Stephen Lauer at 515-245-3730 or [email protected] for more information.
Stephen Lauer is program coordinator for the World Food Prize Foundation in Des Moines.