The Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture at Iowa State University wants to work with Iowans who have innovative ideas for sustainable agriculture alternatives. The 2007 Request for Preproposals has been issued for possible projects in the center's three initiative areas – ecology, marketing and food systems, and policy – each designed to enhance the condition and viability of Iowa's natural resources in varying, yet integrated ways.
In addition to offering grant funds for the three initiatives, the center's "special call" this year aims to develop a new work team focused on the opportunities for grass-based livestock systems that will expand Iowa's agricultural economy, while preserving the state's abundant natural resources. The team will unite multiple organizations seeking research and education solutions to enhance sustainable livestock production.
Center director Jerry DeWitt notes this is the 20th year of operation for the center's highly successful competitive grants program. He says, "We anticipate some great ideas coming from Iowans who want to help the center maintain and improve our natural resources. The accomplishments of the initiatives have been significant, but we rely on the resourcefulness and creativity of our stakeholders and researchers to keep the Center's research headed in the right direction."
* Who may submit a preproposal to the Leopold Center? Investigators representing any Iowa nonprofit organization/agency and/or educational institution (such as soil and water conservation districts, schools and colleges, and regional development groups). The Center strongly encourages the involvement and collaboration of farmers, landowners, and farm-based businesses in the preproposal process.
- What is required? A one- to two-page concept paper on the project and how it fits with the Leopold Center mission and specific initiative objectives.
- Where is the RFP available? The RFP can be downloaded from the center's Web site at www.leopold.iastate.edu/research/rfp/2007.htm. Hard copies can be obtained from the center by calling the office at 515-294-7311 or sending an e-mail to [email protected].
- Who do I contact with questions? For inquiries about the initiatives and livestock team preproposals, contact the appropriate program leader: Jeri Neal for Ecology, 515-294-5610, [email protected]; Rich Pirog for Marketing and Food Systems and the Special Call/Livestock Team, 515-294-1854, [email protected]; and Jerry DeWitt for Policy 515-294-3711, [email protected].
- When is it due? Project ideas should be submitted to the center electronically by August 17, 2007. The preproposals will be reviewed by the center's advisory board and staff.