Iowans will find healthy activities, educational events and family-friendly entertainment every day in the 4-H Exhibits Building at the 2012 Iowa State Fair. The 4-H Exhibits Building is open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily, August 9 to 19, and offers many exhibits prepared by Iowa 4-H youth. The air-conditioned 4-H Exhibits Building is in the southwest corner of the state fairgrounds in Des Moines.
In addition, you can use social media to keep in touch with 4-H throughout the fair. Follow Iowa 4-H on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #4hisf12.
* Got 4-H Exhibits? The 4-H Exhibits Building features some 3,800 exhibits from 4-H'ers around the state. In addition to more than 600 photography exhibits, look for an assortment of delectable baked goods, fantastic furnishings and other unique items.
* Get Your Hands on 4-H Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
Fair visitors can get their hands on science, technology, engineering and math activities. On Thursday, August 9 the University of Northern Iowa Center for Energy and Environmental Education will provide solar activities. On Friday, August 10 and Saturday, August 11 Iowa State University College of Engineering will provide FIRST LEGO League activities.
The Blank Park Zoo will have two shows at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Wednesday, August 15, Thursday, August 16, Friday, August 17 and Saturday, August 18. On Friday, August 17 learn about creepy crawlies with the Insect Zoo, and on Saturday, August 18 youth can play with Science on a Stick.
* Communications Events. Watch more than 900 4-H'ers in action as they give educational presentations every day from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m. Share the Fun acts are every day at noon and 5 p.m. on the main stage at the 4-H Exhibits Building. Working exhibits are hands-on activities led by youth for youth and can be seen every day from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Extemporaneous speaking will be held all day Sunday, August 19.
* Try on 'Awardrobe' August 9 and 10. One State Fair related event is held at another location: The 2012 Iowa State Fair Awardrobe 4-H clothing event is Thursday August 9 and Friday August10 at the Iowa State University campus in Ames. Awardrobe showcases youth from different sections of the state each day. The fashion runway shows will take place each day at 4:15 p.m. in Great Hall in the Memorial Union at ISU.
4-H'ers will participate in three categories. In Clothing Selection, youth purchase a garment for a special occasion. In Fashion Revue, youth construct their own garments. In the $15 Challenge, youth buy an outfit for less than $15. Youth then are judged on their understanding and use of design elements and principles within their category. They also model their garments in the runway shows.
* Bratney Companies 4-H Robotics Challenge Is August 10 and 11. Iowa youth in two age divisions will show off their robot designing and programming skills during a real-time robotics design challenge. Juniors will compete on Friday, August 10, and seniors will compete on Saturday, August 11 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the 4-H Exhibits Building. Real time means the teams won't know the exact design challenges they'll face until the event begins. Each robotics team will receive two challenges — one using the LEGO Mindstorms© NXT platform and a surprise junk drawer challenge. Each team designs a robot to meet each of the challenges. At the end of the working period, the teams will enter the Challenge Field and set their robots loose to the cheers of spectators. Check out videos from past 4-H Robotics Challenges (www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/statefair/roboticschallenge).
* 'Cook This!' on August 12, 13 and 14. In this three-part youth culinary challenge, teams of junior, intermediate and senior level 4-H'ers will demonstrate their creativity in food preparation as well as their communication skills about food related topics, and their ability to identify produce, and equipment and answer other culinary questions. The challenge will take place Sunday, August 12, Monday, August 13 and Tuesday, August 14 in the 4-H Exhibits Building. Check the Cook This! website (www.extension.iastate.edu/4h/StateFair/cookthis) or contact Shelly Greving, ISU Extension 4-H Youth Development.
* State 4-H Council Reunion. The Iowa 4-H Foundation is hosting a State 4-H Council reunion for all current and former State 4-H Council members on Saturday, August 11. The event will be held at the 4-H Exhibits Building from 6 to 8 p.m. following the Share the Fun show at 5 p.m.
* 4-H Livestock Shows. More than 1,900 4-H exhibitors will have 3,000 entries during the 2012 Iowa State Fair. Here is a list of the livestock shows happening throughout the fair.
Thursday August 9 – Poultry, Dairy Cattle and Horse shows
Sunday August 12 – Swine Showmanship and Sheep Showmanship shows
Monday August 13 – Performance Sheep, Market Sheep, Breeding Gilt, Derby Swine and Beef Showmanship shows
Tuesday August 14 – Breeding Sheep, Market Swine, Breeding Beef Cattle shows, the 4-H Parade of Breeding Heifer Champions and Beef of Merit Beef Cattle Show
Wednesday August 15 – Market Beef Cattle show and Rabbit Agility demonstration
Thursday August 16 – Dairy Goat show
Friday August 17 – Breeding Meat Goat show
Saturday August 18 – Rabbit show
Sunday August 19 – Dog show
See 4-H Fair Highlights on 4-H Website
New for 2012, 4-H will post videos of the educational presentations for online viewing. A link to the website will be available at www.extension.iastate.edu/4h.
Induction ceremonies as 114 Iowans will join Iowa 4-H Hall of Fame
The Iowa 4-H Foundation and ISU Extension 4-H Youth Development sponsor the Iowa 4-H Hall of Fame induction ceremonies Sunday, Aug. 19, at 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. in the 4-H Exhibits Building. Eighty-seven counties have selected inductees for their outstanding service and dedication to 4-H. Contact Chris Gleason, ISU Extension 4-H Youth Development.
* 4-H'ers Receive Scholarships. The Iowa 4-H Foundation will present more than 100 scholarships to deserving 4-H'ers from across the state at the annual scholarship awards program, Saturday August 11, 3:30 p.m. in the 4-H Exhibits Building.
* Visit with a 4-H Legend. The Iowa 4-H Foundation is hosting several 4-H legends in the 4-H Exhibits Building. Meet these legends and learn about their 4-H experiences and memories.
Thursday, August 9, 1-3 p.m., Chuck Morris
Friday, August 10, 2-4 p.m., C.J. Gauger
Sunday, August 12, 2-4 p.m., Glen Thompson
Monday, August 13, 2-4 p.m., Don and Doris Goering
Wednesday, August 15, 2-4 p.m., Jerry Parsons
Thursday, August 16, 2-4 p.m., Florine Swanson
Friday, August 17, 2-4 p.m., Shirley Stakey
Saturday, August 18, 10 a.m.-noon, Glen and Mary Jo Mente
* Connect with the Iowa 4-H Foundation. Every weekday from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. and 4 to 5 p.m. the Iowa 4-H Foundation will be on the 4-H Porch at the Cattlemen's Headquarters to visit with fairgoers who want to meet the new Executive Director of the Iowa 4-H Foundation, Kris Fish Kuhlmann, or talk about leaving a legacy for Iowa 4-H.