FSA Announces Increased CRP Rental Rates For 2010 Sign-up

FSA Announces Increased CRP Rental Rates For 2010 Sign-up

FSA is offering higher rental rates for most counties in Iowa in the current general sign-up of land for the Conservation Reserve Program.

FAQ: What are the rental rates FSA is paying for land put into the CRP in the current general signup?

Answer: Provided by Vickie Friedow, state conservationist and compliance program specialist with USDA's Farm Service Agency in Des Moines.

USDA's Farm Service Agency in Iowa has announced that increased rental rates are being offered for the Conservation Reserve Program general sign-up now underway. "New higher rental rates for CRP were announced for most counties in Iowa just before the beginning of the current sign up," says John Whitaker, state FSA executive director. "Producers who have already made offers to enroll land into the CRP in 2010 have been pleasantly surprised with the increase in the rental rates being used."

Maximum CRP rental rates are calculated using the three predominant soil types that make up the offered area. A weighted average of the individual rates associated with each soil type determines the overall rental payment per acre. These new rental rates make CRP a very competitive and attractive alternative to crop production.

Q: When was the last time USDA held a general signup for the Conservation Reserve Program?

A: This is the first general signup in four years. This sign-up began on August 2, 2010 and continues through August 27, 2010. CRP is a voluntary program that assists farmers, ranchers and other agricultural producers to use their environmentally sensitive land for conservation benefits. CRP helps protect groundwater by reducing water runoff, sedimentation, and is a major contributor to increases in wildlife. Producers enrolling in CRP plant long-term resource-conserving cover on the land in exchange for the rental payments, cost-share and technical assistance.

Interested farmers and ranchers will be asked to identify the area(s) they are interested in enrolling as well as to make decisions regarding the type of cover to be established. All owners of the offered land must also agree to the enrollment. Therefore, if not already on file, enrollees may also have to provide their local FSA office with a copy of their filed deeds.

For more information on the Conservation Reserve Program, please contact your county FSA office or the website at www.fsa.usda.gov.

If you have specific questions or need details regarding USDA farm programs, contact your local USDA Farm Service Agency office. You can also get news and information about DCP, ACRE and other USDA programs at www.fsa.usda.gov.

Two Iowa State University Extension Web sites have farm program information and analysis. They are ISU's Ag Decision Maker site at www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm and ISU Extension Specialist Steve Johnson's site at www.extension.iastate.edu/polk/farmmanagement.htm.

And be sure to read the regular column "Frequently Asked Questions about the Farm Program" that appears in each issue of Wallaces Farmer magazine and at www.WallacesFarmer.com


TAGS: Extension
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.