Livestock Assistance Deadline Approaching

Livestock Assistance Deadline Approaching

Sign-up period for USDA's emergency assistance program for livestock producers ends January 30, 2012. If you had disaster-related losses in 2011, visit your local FSA office.

John Whitaker, state executive director for the Iowa Farm Service Agency, reminds agricultural producers to sign up for the USDA Emergency Livestock Assistance Program (ELAP) if they had losses from weather or other disasters in 2011. The sign-up period ends January 30, 2012. "Contact your local FSA office today if you think you qualify for this program—if you haven't contacted FSA and signed up already," advises Whitaker.

The ELAP program which covers livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish losses ends on January 30, 2012. It is administered by the Farm Service Agency. In addition to submitting a notice of loss, producers must file an application for payment by this January 30 date. 

"With the number of weather disasters and the variety of adverse weather conditions we had in Iowa this past year, we want all eligible producers to be aware of this sign-up deadline,' adds Whitaker. 

What losses does the ELAP program cover? Who is eligible for ELAP?

ELAP provides compensation to eligible producers of livestock, honey bees and farm-raised fish for losses due to disease, adverse weather, or other loss conditions, including losses caused by blizzards and wildfires. ELAP is for losses that are not covered by Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP), Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP), or Supplemental Revenue Assistance Program (SURE).

Eligible producers under ELAP may receive assistance for losses that occur on or after Jan. 1, 2008, and before Oct. 1, 2011, during the calendar year in which the loss occurs.  Eligible losses include feed losses, physical losses and additional costs incurred in providing feed to eligible livestock.

There are two parts to the ELAP application process:

A notice of loss

Application for payment

An application for payment cannot be filed without a notice of loss, says Whitaker. There are no late filed provisions for ELAP. Producers with eligible losses must timely file an acreage report on grazing land acres, honey bee colonies and farm-raised fish pond acres.

Eligible physical losses of honey bees and honey bee hives due to adverse weather or loss conditions are eligible under ELAP. Producers will be required to provide documentation of beginning and ending inventory of honey bee colonies when claiming a physical loss of honey bees or honey bee hives.

Additional information on ELAP or other programs administered by FSA is available at your local FSA County Office or online at
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.