Mark your calendar and plan to attend one of a series of upcoming meetings covering crop insurance and risk management information for 2012. Iowa State University Extension farm management specialist Steve Johnson will present "Managing Crop Risks in Volatile Times" and crop insurance specialists from Farm Credit Services of America will discuss the latest information and updates to help farmers make 2012 crop insurance decisions.
Farm Credit Services of America is sponsoring these 2-hour meetings, which include a meal. You are encouraged to pre-register now to reserve your spot at the meeting location nearest you. Pre-registration is required at least 48 hours before the meeting. More information about the "Growing On" 2012 educational meetings, along with online registration, is available at
"Growing On" 2012 schedule, speakers and presentations
Steve Johnson will speak on "Managing Crop Risks in Volatile Times." The ISU Extension farm and ag business management specialist will offer insights related to grain marketing, government farm programs, crop insurance and other risk management strategies farmers can put to work on their farms. He'll share:
A 2012 outlook for crop market prices and input costs
What impact U.S. and global economies and outside markets and commodity fund investors will have on U.S. agriculture in 2012
How to use crop insurance with marketing strategies and tools
The critical factors shaping the 2012 Farm Bill
2012 crop insurance decisions and new online marketing tool
Farm Credit Services of America crop insurance specialists work full time – the entire year – with crop insurance. It's all they do. If you attend Growing On 2012 you can learn from them what the changes are in 2012 and how they may impact you and your farming operation. Also, at these meetings you will learn about an exciting new tool designed to help you create a marketing plan that incorporates crop insurance, a breakeven analysis and profit targets. You can track your marketable bushels including cash, futures, options and government payments, too.
Choose a "Growing On" 2012 presentation located near you
* Newton, Iowa: January 4, 2012 DMACC Conference Center, 600 N. 2nd Ave. West. Phone 800-674-9403. Registration: 9:30 AM CST. Program: 10:00 AM CST. Meal: 12:00 PM CST
* Marshalltown, Iowa: January 4, 2012 Iowa Valley Community College - Dejardin Hall, 3702 S. Center St. Phone 888-493-2159. Registration: 5:15 PM CST. Meal: 5:15 PM CST. Program: 6:00 PM CST
* Perry, Iowa: January 6, 2012 McCreary Community Building, 1800 Pattee St. Phone 800-369-5829. Registration: 9:30 AM CST. Program: 10:00 AM CST. Meal: 12:00 PM
* Eddyville, Iowa: January 9, 2012 Indian Hills Bio-Processing Training Center, 17601 Monroe Wapello Rd. Phone 800-383-0093. Registration: 9:30 AM CST. Program: 10:00 AM CST. Meal: 12:00 PM CST
* Lenox, Iowa: January 10, 2012 Lenox Community Center, 200 S. Main. Phone 800-593-5181. Registration: 11:00 AM CST. Meal: 11:00 AM CST. Program: 12:00 PM
* Oakland, Iowa: January 10, 2012 Oakland Community Center, 129 Harrison St. Phone 800-475-3128. Registration: 5:00 PM CST. Meal: 5:00 PM CST. Program: 6:00 PM
* Storm Lake, Iowa: January 11, 2012 Buena Vista University, 601 W. Fourth Phone 800-798-5250. Registration: 5:30 PM CST. Meal: 5:30 PM CST. Program: 6:30 PM
* South Sioux City, Iowa: January 12, 2012 Marina Inn & Conference Center, 4th & B St., South Sioux City, NE. Phone 800-383-0630. Registration: 9:00 AM CST. Program: 10:00 AM CST. Meal: 12:00 PM CST
* Carroll, Iowa: January 12, 2012 Carrollton Inn, 1730 Hwy. 71 N. Phone 800-383-0698. Registration: 6:00 PM CST. Meal: 6:00 PM CST. Program: 7:00 PM CST
* Mason City, Iowa: January 13, 2012 Prime N' Wine, 3000 4th St. SW/Hwy. 122 W. Phone 800-383-0399. Registration: 9:30 AM CST. Program: 10:00 AM CST. Meal: 12:00 PM CST
* Manchester, Iowa: January 16, 2012 Delaware County Pavilion, 200 E. Acres St. Phone 800-383-0378. Register: 5:30 PM CST. Meal: 5:30 PM CST. Program: 6:30 PM CST
* Festina, Iowa: January 17, 2012 Festina Community Bldg., 2351 County Rd. B-32 Phone 800-383-0370. Registration: 9:30 AM CST. Program: 10:00 AM CST. Meal: 12:30 PM CST
* Waterloo, Iowa: January 17, 2012 Hawkeye Community College, 1501 E. Orange Rd. Phone 800-369-3551. Register: 5:00 PM CST. Meal: 5:00 PM CST. Program: 6:00 PM CST
* Mt. Pleasant, Iowa: January 18, 2012 Faith Christian Church, 1302 E. Washington. Phone 800-235-1728. Register: 9:30 AM CST. Program: 10:00 AM CST. Meal: 12:00 PM CST
* Davenport, Iowa: January 18, 2012 Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, 5202 Brady St. Phone 800-659-5141. Register: 5:00 PM CST. Meal: 5:00 PM CST. Program: 6:00 PM
* Cedar Rapids, Iowa: January 19, 2012 The Hotel at Kirkwood Center, 7725 Kirkwood Blvd. SW. Phone 800-593-0151. Registration: 11:00 AM CST. Meal: 11:30 AM CST. Program: 12:00 PM CST
* Webster City, Iowa: January 19, 2012 St. Thomas Aquinas Parish Center, 1008 Des Moines St. Phone 800-711-0018. Register: 5:15 PM CST. Meal: 5:15 PM CST. Program: 6:00 PM
Plan to attend — Reserve your seat — Register today!
For farm management information and analysis, go to ISU’s Ag Decision Maker site www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm and ISU Extension farm management specialist Steve Johnson’s site www.extension.iastate.edu/polk/farmmanagement.htm.