Register Early For FSA Programs

Register Early For FSA Programs

Farm Service Agency chief recommends farmers register in advance.

FAQ: Sign-up for new FSA programs created by the 2014 Farm Bill won't be held until sometime later this year. Why are FSA officials urging farmers to go to the local FSA office and register in advance of sign-up?
Answer: USDA Farm Service Agency administrator Juan M. Garcia recommends that farmers who plan to participate in 2014 FSA programs register in advance. Producers are encouraged to report farm records and business structure changes to a local FSA Service Center as soon as possible. 

NEW FARM BILL: The 2014 Farm Bill is now law and offers some new FSA farm programs. Farmers who plan to participate are encouraged to register now, ahead of the sign-up periods.

Enrollment for the disaster programs authorized by the 2014 Farm Bill, including the Livestock Indemnity Program, or LIP, and the Livestock Forage Disaster Program, or LFP, will begin by April 15, 2014. "We expect significant interest in these programs," says Garcia. "Early registration should help improve sign-up process and allow us to expedite implementation of programs. I strongly encourage producers to complete their paperwork ahead of time."

Examples of updates or changes to report include:
1) New producers or producers who have not reported farm records to FSA.

2) Producers who have recently bought, sold or rented land.  Those producers need to ensure that changes have been reported and properly recorded by local FSA county office personnel. Reports of purchased or sold property should include a copy of the land deed, and if land has been leased, then documentation should be provided that indicates the producer had/has control of the acreage.

3) Producers that have changed business structures (e.g. formed a partnership or LLC) need to ensure that these relationships and shares are properly recorded with FSA. Even family farms that have records on file may want to ensure that this is recorded accurately as it may impact payment limits.

Report farm records and business structure changes
Farm records can be updated during business hours at FSA Service Centers that administer the county where the farm or ranch is located. Producers can contact their local FSA Service Center in advance to find out what paperwork they may need. In addition, bank account information should be supplied or updated if necessary to ensure that producers receive payments as quickly as possible through direct deposit.

While any producer may report farm records and business structure changes, it is especially important for producers who suffered livestock, livestock grazing, honeybee, farm-raised fish, or tree/vine losses for 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014, and may be eligible for assistance through one of four disaster programs. 

For more information about disaster programs and USDA's farm bill implementation plan visit FSA's 2014 Farm Bill Web page. FSA Service Center locations can be found on the FSA website.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.